An Incredible Year
Thanks to thousands of Book People who have rallied together with us, 2012 has been an incredible year at Reading Is Fundamental. We’ve provided millions of children with more than 2 million new books this year, including three powerful partnerships in action just this month:
- 250,000 books to children nationwide to take home just before the holidays — united with First Book and others
- 6,500 books to children in D.C. Public Schools just before the holiday break — united with Junior League of Washington
- 1,500 books to children affected by Hurricane Sandy in Queens and Staten Island — united with YMCA of Greater New York and others
Earlier this year, we launched Book People Unite, a campaign to rally support for children’s literacy. Thousands of people have taken the Book People pledge, declaring their belief in the transformative power of books. Your support has helped us:
- Raise $4.8 million during our annual Be Book Smart campaign in Macy’s stores nationwide
- Secure $4.18 million in federal funding to provide books to kids in the summer – a critical time to support their long-term academic achievement
- Honor our troops with literacy celebrations and book giveaways for their families
- Provide literacy training for educator and caregivers in rural and urban communities
- Inspire the next generation of innovators through the launch of our 2013 Multicultural Book Collection centered on Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts and Math (or STEAM) subjects
With poverty affecting 16 million children today – and two-thirds of children in these homes lacking even a single book to call their own – our work has been more impactful than ever.
Thank you, Book People, for your steadfast support.
There’s so much more to do. We look forward to continuing the journey together. Book People Unite!